Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Taking Time~

~It's amazing what making sure that you take time to take care of yourself and to take a breather makes for your life! Somedays it is so easy to get caught up in the details- work, school, kids, cleaning, making, that you let the things that bring you joy and rest go by the wayside. I'm really trying to maintain my daily #15minute challenge (spending 15 minutes a day on something that brings me joy and peace), but it can be so hard! I struggle so much with feeling guilty taking time for myself, but I think that doesn't send the right message to my children and to those around me. Taking care of ourselves is so important, and so vital for our overall productivity and health. So, with that encouragement, I made some time to work on my "For the Love of Spider's Shawl". I'd let this one (and all my other projects that I was working on just for fun) kind of slide as I was juggling a lot of work and a few crazy deadlines, which just led to a lot of frustration and crazy making. It was nice to take some time to work on this relaxing knit, and I'm finding that if I time my mornings  just right, I can squeeze in just a few rows before I have to hit the ground running. I needed something light and fun to read as well (I always forget how stressful the last few weeks of the school year can be.....5 left here, I think, till we reach the end of our current curriculum!) and was so happy to notice that Rachael Herron had a new book out, The Darling Songbirds. She is one of my favorite storytellers of all times and I am not that far into this one but I already love the characters and the writing. I don't think I have come across a book her's yet that I don't like- they are all so different (and I think Pack up the Moon might just be my favorite, although I really love How to Knit a Love Song....ok, so they are all my favorites!). I also spent some time studying my new book, 750 Knitting Stitches and working on some new ideas. So yes, taking some time is healthy, productive and helpful in the long wrong- no guilt necessary!
Don't forget to link up with Ginny's Blog to share what you are reading and knitting this week. What are you going to do to make sure you are enjoying life for your #15minuteChallenge?

~Jessica

3 comments:

Laurel said...

I don't love spiders...but I do love your shawl! ;)

Yes, self-care is SO important to sanity. Good job making time for it!

azwoolgirl said...

Oh love your shawl and Rachel's books are awesome 😊

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you're taking little bits of time for yourself too (although I agree, it can be hard!) I'm always amazed at how a few moments each day can majorly revive me. :) Hope you have a wonderful day!