Wednesday, March 30, 2016

~For Cold Days, for Warm Days


~I realized yesterday that it is most likely that the last 2 "winter" or rather, "coldish" days are upon me and that it is going to be almost 100 degrees rather soon. Just as that thought was dawning on me, the ding of panic kept sounding from my phone as emails started to bring new deadlines, the mailbox overflowed with yarn (with more deadlines!), and the pile of "to type up" was starting to look like it might topple over and off my desk.....I had just weaved in the last end on my latest design, that pretty little cardigan in the back, and I needed to wind up some other yarn before I could dive into the next work projects (or at least I told myself to assuage the guilt of not working on my MiniRose Sample and picking back up the new shawl design I'm working up in Shalimar Yarn) so of course, it was the perfect time to pick up my Ginny's Cardigan and finish it up--for the second time! Yep. You read that right- For.the.SECOND.time. Knitters, when you are making a pattern, please read through the whole thing. If I had done that, I might not have had to rip out my entire buttonband (which I had worked to 4" on each side), and Neck Edging. And take off the buttons that I had actually bothered to sew on.....all the way back in DECEMBER! Although, to be fair, I do believe I did read through the pattern. It wasn't until I sewed on the last button, and tried it on that I was quite certain I had gone wonky somewhere, and indeed I had. Again, to be fair, I think that the pattern is not very clear in that the buttonband is only to be worked to the bust shaping in the front- not all the way up the edge.  I think that in between the publication's writing style/preference (which I've gotten a little familiar with lately ;) and the sake of space, that was not made clear in the pattern. After doing some research on Ravelry, I realized I was not the only knitter that had this issue, and that ripping back all that work was really going to be the only choice. Not what you want to hear when you've spent your entire Christmas break knitting this one project that you have had you eye on for forever! Unfortunately, it was also a rather warm winter, so the need of a winter sweater was not that essential. Until yesterday, when the temps started to sink to the 60's during the day, and a promise of the 30's in the evening. And a promise that today would be the same or colder, but that the 90's would be back before the weekend. Then, of course, then, I needed this sweater. NOW! So, last night, instead of listening to the urging of the panic feeling my email was bringing and playing with the yarn that my adorable toddler helped me wind (that is a whole other story......something along the lines of a Greek tragedy: The Perils of Winding Yarn with a Toddler) I just kept on knitting, determined that I was going to finish this thing. Well, if you don't mind the missing buttons (and I don't, I find buttons to be a type of useless thing on sweaters when you are dealing with baby wearing and nursing, neither of those activities make buttoning a sweater a likely thing). So, yes, I am currently wearing my, formerly button-now buttonless Ginny's Cardigan and wondering why I didn't fix this thing sooner. Cozy.
I'm still reading The Darling Songbirds, which isn't finished only because I had a very busy week and very little time for reading. I plan to remedy that this week! But, oh my goodness! If this book isn't perfect- there has been a mention of the Gilmore Girls, coffee and there is even knitting!
(And that Love of Knitting? It's the Summer issue. Let me know if you check it out and see anything familiar........)
I'll be back soon, but in the meantime, let me know if you would be interested in test knitting the Garden Party Cardi- this one is going to be fun, and have the chance to work on some skill building, or not, depending on your preference.

Happy Knitting, and let me know what you are reading and knitting, and then link up with Ginny's Blog!

~Jessica

1 comment:

karisma said...

Wow your post made me tired. LOL I think I need a coffee now. Shame about all that ripping back but at least you have fixed it now. Love love love the pattern on the blue sweater. Beautiful work. :-)