
~Sometimes in life, there are things that for whatever reason, you find yourself turning to for a repeat, whether it's a favorite book that you enjoy, or a favorite yarn that you keep using, or even a knit that you just find comforting. This week, I think that I've turned to those things that are just tried and true, and found a way to make them new, different, exciting, or slightly better. We are nearing the end of our homeschooling program and my first grader is really struggling with seeing the end of the book in sight, but not being there yet. He is a constant reminder that what worked for his siblings doesn't always work for him and that he is unique. He is also very much like me. I don't know what caused me to pull this old Children's Treasury off the shelf, but I am glad that I did. I remember being about his age, flipping through it, and reading stories at random. Some made me want to read the whole book, others made me never want to read any more from that book again! This little one is not always up for reading a whole chapter book (although there are times that he wants the whole thing read right then and there, or he will let it sit on his shelf for months and then want to read it every night for months on end). I thought this would be a good way to bridge the gap between reading him picture books all the time (which we still love and read plenty of, especially with a baby and toddler helping out!), but that it would make him feel a little older to read something a little more "weighty." He seems to agree as this is his choice for story time every day. His favorite so far is this selection from Homer Price, "The Doughnuts", and I think that he might just be ready to listen to the rest of the story, we'll see! He also loved hearing the selection from The Hobbit (I think the Gollum voices that I used might have helped!) but he was not quite ready for reading The Hobbit.....we tried! I spent some time reading and studying Kate Atherley's Pattern Writing for Knit Designers (she has a new edition out!), and I learn something new every time I read through it, this time I started making sticky notes for quick reference (you will thank me later!).
Last year, I designed a shawl pattern for a website. I was not particularly fond of the yarn they sent for the sample to be knit up in, and I wasn't able to do the ruffled edge like I had envisioned because the yarn was not good for ruffles. Since the rights have reverted back to me, I decided to revisit this old friend and update it the way that I want to see it knit. I am knitting it up in a new-to-me- yarn, Three Irish Girls (a brand I love) in a base I hadn't used before, McClellan Fingering. I am loving it! And I'm knitting it with 2 colors. I should have this one ready to send to test knitters this week, if you are interested, just leave me a comment with your Ravelry name, and I will link you when the test knit is posted.
Sometimes things are just worth repeating, and sometimes you can make them even better the second go round! I have to keep reminding myself that no matter how many times I've taught first grade, this is my first graders first time, and he deserves for me to make it just right for HIM. If I wanted it to be right for everybody, I'd send him off to school. He is unique and is willing to put in the necessary work, when I give him my attention and focus. I'm definitely learning a lot from this one.....and will most likely have to remind myself of all this when I have to repeat Kindergarten next year (which I am sure will be the most crazy year of Kindergarten ever as that one has declared that she is bringing baby to school with her and that he is going to do K as well....let's see how many gray hairs I walk away with at the end of next year......)
I'll be back soon with some exciting news! I have some super fun things planned and can't wait to share them with you. Don't forget, you can sign up for my newsletter right there on the side of my blog and you will be kept updated on all the things I have going on with patterns, designs, and SALES! (Hint, hint!). I'd love to hear what you are reading and knitting, so don't forget to link up with
Ginny's Blog!
~Jessica
1 comment:
Your shawl looks like it's going to be gorgeous!
Post a Comment