Goodness, has it really been a week already? What a jam-packed, fun-filled week it was! My littlest one turned 1 (I still can't believe that!) and enjoyed the chance to reflect on his first year, and in particular his amazing birth. Such a healing, joyous and laughter-filled event it was. Prior to his birth, I had lost all my passion about anything "birth" related. I wasn't interested in sharing my birth stories, encouraging home birth as a choice, or even offering nursing advice. I believed in all those things, and kept at them (nursing and choosing home birth), but after my fourth birth, it took me awhile to admit to myself, and others, that I'd been traumatized by her birth. Not that anything tragic happened, but I was just really shocked by the care (or more appropriately lack of care!) from my midwife. I didn't believe that anyone who called themselves "midwife" would every act in such a manner at a labor/birth, and it really shocked me to my core when it did happen. It also took me a long time to realize that I never took the time after she was born to enjoy new motherhood, again, and that I just dove head first into being a mom of 4, without skipping a beat, and it was exhausting- emotionally and physically. Know better, do better, and I did! I've savored, cherished, and enjoyed every moment of this past year- with my littlest one, and all of his siblings. I took a week to just get to know him, and bask in the healing that was his birth. He is a reminder for every birth that I attend, that it's a birthday party, and that your outlook on things can make a huge difference in your experience. I chose to be happy, and to laugh through my contractions, and when I reflect on his birth, it is with joy, and awe. And a few utterances of, "let me in the water NOW!"
I'm still knitting away on my #LittlehouseAlong this week. I actually only managed to knit on it twice over the whole week, a little on Mother's Day and a tiny bit the other night, so I have not managed to finish the garter section yet. But that is ok. I'm enjoying the garter stitch, the color of the yarn and the yarn itself, Plucky Primo Fingering in the Mr. Edwards color way. I'm still reading (again slowly!) in Little House in the Big Woods. I'm reading it aloud to a couple of the kiddos, and we haven't made it very far. They waver between choosing this, and asking for another round of Froggy books. I'm just happy that like to read. Don't forget to stop by Ginny's Blog so you can join the Yarn Along and see what others are reading and knitting this week!
I'll leave you with a shot of my new yarn:
It's my first shipment from the Yarn Love Little Lovelies club. I decided to treat myself to a subscription, I can't remember if it was a birthday, or "yay for something or other!" thing, but I'm so happy I did! The colors are lovely. I like the way this club works, it's different from other clubs I've tried in the past- every month there is a different "color way" which is pulled together from some sort of theme/picture idea. Then, you can choose which color way you want- the multi-color or one (or more!) of the co-ordinates (or in this case both!), AND you can choose the base you want. I picked Amy March Fingering for this round. On top of that, you also get a matching "mini-skein" that pairs with the club color way. So much fun! I've got a couple of design ideas that I'm thinking for these.......
Until next time, dear readers,
~Jessica


2 comments:
It is good to read that you've healed emotionally over this past year. Giving birth is such a vulnerable time - I can understand how something hurtful happening during it can leave scars that are sometimes hard to even explain. I love the idea of a Little House Knit-a-long. I don't know exactly what that entails, but I'm intrigued. Perhaps if I check out more of your blog I'll have a fuller picture. ;^)
Oh! I see the link in last week's blog post (to the Littlehousealong). Going now to check it out!
Post a Comment