How quickly a week passes. Somedays, and some weeks, it seems like there is just not enough time to fit it all in, and other weeks, there seems to be an abundance of downtime. I'd really like some balance! I was reflecting today, how it seems like we are just go-go-going, and that's probably because we are. Last year at this time, I was starting to wrap things up (school, work, projects) to get ready for a new baby. This year, I'm chasing after that "baby" who just starting walking (gasp!). I know it gets said all the time, and if you are the parent of a newborn, you won't believe me when I say, "It goes by so fast" Truly, it does. I never thought I'd be "not pregnant" last year at this time, and now, that forever baby is giving me a run for my money. Thankfully, he still loves to be worn, nursed, and cuddled, so I can get a bit of work down while putting him down for a nap, and then a little more can get down while I serve as his bed. Early in my mothering career, I might have complained about feeling trapped under a sleeping child, or that I couldn't get the laundry put away, fancy dinners cooked, or my floors spotless, because of holding a baby, but I've learned, there is nothing better than just taking that time to let them sit on you, rest, and snuggle in their sweetness. The floors, the food, the clothes, they can wait, they will always be there. A snuggly baby? He (or she!) becomes a curious toddler, a precocious preschooler and then an energetic, inquisitive force of unlimited potential (I woke up to children attempting to construct a working volcano yesterday morning!) Anyways enough of my mommy ramblings, on to what I'm knitting and reading!
(Not the best picture!)
Last night, I started a Bergamot Shrug last night. I've been working, non-stop, since last week, working ahead on some deadline pieces that I need to get ready for a photo shoot, and finishing up the cowl that I've been designing (can't wait to share it with you all), and so, I just needed a new project, something I needed to follow someone else's instructions on, and sort of jump-start my love of knitting (which was waning just a bit). I've had this pattern in my library for awhile and I've had the yarn at the ready for awhile as well, it's Three Irish Girls Beckon Stretch Merino that I bought back when Sharon shut down the monthly clubs, and right before the new Irish Girls, Kelly and Erin took over, so it's been sitting in a corner waiting to be knit for a long while now! I was so happy to finally cast this on, and actually made it through the first chart last night while watching TV with my hubby. I needed a break from stockinette and work. I tried the other night to find joy in knitting from working on a sweater that I'm not sure I'll ever finished- just knitting it was making me grumpy. The pattern is not well-written, I tried the sleeve on and it's bigger than I'd like, or even design for one of my sweaters, and the yarn is just scratchy. I don't like the color. The skeins don't match well. And like I said, it made me grumpy to knit it. I actually considered paying someone to finish knitting the thing for me (it just needs a cuff, a sleeve, and the edging, so not much!), but I just don't like it right now. And it's already been in time out for almost a year. Hmmm, not sure what I'll do with it, any suggestions? I also started a new book yesterday, Splinters of Light, by Rachel Herron. She is one of my absolute favorite authors of all time! I fell in love with her Cyprus Hollow books a few years ago and have read all her other books as well. I was so happy when Pack up the Moon came out last year, and was delighted when Rachel herself cautioned me via Twitter not to read it while pregnant, because it might be too much. I'm so grateful that she mentioned that, because I did end up reading it postpartum and that was tearful enough! However, it was still a wonderful work, and so very tender. I'm enjoying Splinters of Light so far, and can't wait to read more.
I better leave you for now, before I find another rabbit hole to fall down and write on and on about!
Have a lovely week, friends!
~Jessica

No comments:
Post a Comment