Monday, February 23, 2015

"Alice's Journey"

(Photo by Dream in Color Yarn)

Last fall my submission was accepted to be a part of Dream in Color's Winter patterns. I loved working up this sample, and was a little sad at the thought of having to send it off. I was super excited when they contacted me to find out if I would be interested in a change of terms to my contract- which allowed me to get my sample back when they are finished using it for pictures, trunk shows, and the like, of course I said YES! and I can't wait until this comes back because I am definitely planning on wearing it.

The only requirements for your submission were that 1) it needed to use two different weights of Dream in Color Yarn and 2) it needed to be connected to "dreams" somehow. At the time, my husband and I were watching the show, Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, loosely based on Alice in Wonderland, but with several significant changes. There was a particular top that Alice wore, that just looked lovely, and so Alice, but yet grown up and sophisticated. I really liked that top and kept thinking of ways to recreate it into a wearable, everyday piece. My husband joked that I was trying to relive my childhood love of Alice in Wonderland but I honestly really just loved that top!

I was super thrilled when my design was chosen and being a pink/purple fan, I was even more thrilled with the colors that they chose for me to knit the sample. The top is worked in Dream in Color Smooshy with Cashmere and Dream in Color Perfectly Posh Sport. The The color combinations for this piece are endless and amazing. 
This piece is a pretty simple top-down raglan top, with a bit of shaping, some interesting textural components, and a fairly easy lace border. It would be a great piece for a first garment and even a introduction to lace. 

I am going to give away one copy of "Alice's Journey", to enter, all you have to do is comment on what color combination of Dream in Color Yarn  you would knit your Alice top.  Good luck and I can't wait to see what colors you come up with.

Happy Knitting,
~Jessica

No comments: