Monday, September 19, 2016

Coronation Shawl

Coronation Shawl, photography by Kellie Nuss

Several months ago, I was waiting in line to get some coffee while out shopping with my 5 year old daughter. She was wearing one of her favorite dresses, which happens to be any dress with "Elsa" on it these days. "Mommy," she quietly asked me, "Do you love Elsa too, just like me?" "Of course," I told her. "Why don't you ever wear an Elsa dress, then?" she asked me. Because, of course, love of Elsa would meant that I would wear a pretty Elsa dress every time I left the house, just like her! I told her, that, sadly, they don't seem to make Elsa dresses for mommies. She laughed at that, and immediately her little eyes lit up, and she twirled in place as she informed me that "Why don't you knit something that looks like Elsa then?" because, clearly the solution to a missing piece of clothing in one's wardrobe in our house is that "Mommy can knit it!". I watched her enthusiasm and knew that she was on to something- a good something at that. I dug in my purse for a pen and a scrap of paper (this happens more frequently than I care to admit.....) and started making the initial sketches for what is now the "Coronation Shawl." It took me awhile to find the perfect yarn- it had to be the right colors, the right drape, the right "sparkle", and my search led me to a local artisan, Gherkin's Bucket. I had the wonderful chance to meet Krysten over email, and her work did not disappoint! I used her Sparkle Sock for this piece and I couldn't be more thrilled with how it turned out. Pattern is available on Ravelry, Craftsy and on my website.

Here are the pattern details:
Finished Dimensions: 70”/178.0 cm wingspan and 24”/61.0 cm deep, after washing and blocking 
Gauge: 20 sts/28 rows = 4”/10.0 cm in Stockinette Stitch, after washing and blocking 
Yarn: Gherkin’s Bucket Shimmer Sock, 425 yards, 75%wool, 20% Nylon, 5% Silver Sparkles, Aire 1 skein, (MC), Floors of Ancient Rome, 1 skein (CC) 
Needles: US 6 (4mm) 32”/ 81.5 cm circular or preferred length to work a large number of sts flat, and size needed to obtain gauge. 
Supplies: Stitch markers, tapestry needle, scissors, measuring tape, blocking wires or pins.

I hope you love making this one as much as I enjoyed creating it! 

Happy Knitting,
~Jessica




SaveSave

1 comment:

karen said...

that is one beautiful shawl!!