I was recently gifted "The Linear Collection" by Ruth Garcia-Alcantud (or Rock&Purl) so that I could review it for you, dear readers and knitting friends! Her Malabrigo FPP does not disappoint! I am definitely a fan of Ruth's aesthetic, and have been for years. I am also a Malabrigo fan, it was the first "real" yarn that I purchased and knit with, and for many years, the longies and sweaters that I knit with it were the only things that my highly sensory aware little one could stand to wear. Put together Ruth's designs and the lovely Malabrigo yarn and you have a perfect partnership.
This collection contains 5 patterns- a pullover, a top, a pair of socks, a shawl and an open-style cardigan (my favorite!). The collection has a spatial/linear theme that it maintains throughout each of the pieces. Not only does this pattern booklet provide the knitter with 5 detailed, professionally tech edited and lovely photography, but it also features 2 Appendix sections that provide a wonderful chance to learn and hone in your knitting skills.
Appendix 1 features a thorough stitch and abbreviation guide. Appendix 2 is well-worth the price of the booklet, in and of itself! It is the most thorough Technique guide I have ever seen in a pattern booklet. Not only does Ruth explain different knitting techniques (for example a "w&t", or the trio of "M1's": M1L, M1R, M1P; but each technique also has step-by-step photo guides of how to execute that particular technique. Yarn, needles, and a clear-cut picture to help guide your learning. She also includes a page of notes on the Malabrigo yarns she used, and the particular characteristics that make them well-suited for the particular pattern they are used in, a very important point should you desire (although I don't know why you would!) to use a yarn different from Malabrigo.
I love all of the patterns in the collection, but my top-two favorites would have to be "Parallel Planes"
and "Lightning Ray". I definitely have plans to knit both of those soon (or as soon as I discover how to add more hours to my day.....)
(Photos from Ravelry)
Because I love this collection so much, and I think that Ruth's work is just wonderful, I want to offer a little giveaway to you! I am going to offer a giveaway of one of the patterns from her collection. I will gift it to you on Ravelry. All you have to do to enter to win is to post your favorite piece from the Linear Collection, and if you are the winner, I'll gift it to you! (Please be sure to include your Ravelry username). I highly encourage you to pick up your own copy of The Linear Collection, I assure you, you will not be disappointed!
Have a lovely week-end, and I'll be back soon!
~Jessica



2 comments:
I am loving both Aligned Spaces and Parallel Planes but am more likely to wear Parallel Planes so that one is winning for me (whereswoolly)
Oh wow. I love Alighned Spaces. I'm HevaEyre
Post a Comment