Friday, October 9, 2015

Book Review: Short Row Knits, by Carol Feller

When I started knitting, my first project was a pair of longies. In fact, my first several projects (and I believe I declared at one time that the only project I'd ever knit!) were longies. It wasn't until my third baby was born during the cold winter that I decided to branch out to other things (because Winter Baby's need sweaters, hats, booties, blankets and a bunny hat, honestly, all babies need those things, but I just didn't know it at the time). The one thing that *almost* made me throw in the towel during those days were these very confusing directions in every Longie/Shorties pattern that instructed the knitter to make short rows in a variety of what, at the time, were very confusing directions- one pattern called for a w&t, another pattern referenced a Japanese short row, and another a German version. I just wanted to knit, not learn a new language! The only thing that somewhat made sense was that short rows were needed in the pants because they were to go over cloth diapers (and if you have ever dressed your kid in cloth diapers, you know that you have to put larger clothes on your tiny baby to fit over that huge cloth bum!), according to the patterns the short rows were supposed to solve this problem. But, as a brand-new knitter, the short rows were the problem! How I wish this book had been around when I started knitting! Even still, I am so glad that I bought a copy of Short Row Knits the other week! This book is so full of information and techniques, that even now, several years later, I am still finding it useful and helpful! Carol Feller is a master at teaching Short Rows, she even has a free mini-Craftsy class on Short Rows, so you can be assured she knows her stuff!
This book is unique because it is like holding a workshop in your hands! The tutorials are fantastic and completely demystify the German and Japanese short rows, along with 2 other methods as well. The instructions are clear and are followed by detailed illustrations.
As if the helpful tutorials were not enough (and trust me, I know many mommy knitters that would have purchased this book just to learn how to knit their longies without those annoying holes in the bums!), this book also has 20 projects that will help you learn your skills even better! There is a delightful mix of sweaters, shawls, baby/children wearables and even a cute toy!
I pulled out some Malabrigo Sock the other day and am looking forward to trying out the Chirripo pattern! Isn't it so cute?
(Image from Ravelry, © Joseph Feller)

I think this is a completely unique idea and a great way to practice some new Short Row techniques.
I love the sweaters, shawls and socks as well! It's so hard to pick a favorite, don't you agree?
If you want to master Short Rows, this book is a must-have for your knitting library. 
Thanks Carol for putting together such a lovely and helpful resource. My copy is definitely going to be one of those frequently in-use, well-loved books.

Well, I better run, I hope that you all have a lovely week-end planned. I am so thankful that Fall days are just around the corner (or at least that's my hope!). 

~Jessica


No comments: