Wednesday, August 5, 2015

A ~Birthday~ Yarn-Along~

Welcome back friends! Whew, what a week it has been. I've been swamped, literally, buried under yarn and yarn related work, we started our new school year, AND it's someone's very special day today, my oldest boy turns 9! Hard to believe that is even possible!!!! He's so full of adventure, curiosity and a bit of mischief (yes, I know he sounds a bit like one of our favorites around here, Curious George, but I promise, he really is a real-live boy).

This week, I've had just a teeny tiny bit of time to work on my "Edith's Secret" shawl. The yarn is still lovely, the knitting is still soothing, but time is not on my side. I've been juggling three different work projects, all with definitive deadlines!, and time does not slow down- ever! I've thankfully finished up one of them, have another one schedule to finish up later today, and there is an end in sight for the last piece (which is thankfully a self-published item!), BUT, just as I thought I was caught up, three more projects and their yarn support showed up on my door step and so I need to make sometime to work up my gauge swatches and start grading and planning so I can get them knit- some faster than others.....
I picked up "The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott" by Kelly O'Connor McNees at the library last week, quite by accident I might add! I was finished picking up our books we needed for school this week (the Charlotte Mason method that we tend to follow requires ALOT of living books to read and look at!) and I found myself in the adjoining adult fiction aisle for authors that's names begin with M, I think the books moved because I typically find myself in the P's and have a chance to pick up the newest Patterson book (or at least newest to me, which tends to be about 3-4 books ago for those who keep up with the newest releases!), and occasionally I am able to grab a "Ma" book (Ok, so yes, I admit, I like to read Debbie Macomber, I know, super sappy romance, and KNITTING!) so I was unfamiliar with the authors for the section I found myself browsing in, but I was happy to come across a book that mentioned "Louisa May Alcott". Little Women is my all-time favorite book, I've read it more times than I can count and I've written numerous papers on it. I've been enjoying this fictionalized account of Louisa's life and love the quotes from her different works the precede each chapter. I love hearing about her sisters and pairing them up with the girls that I remember so fondly from Little Women.
Well, that's it for today, I've got birthday things to go get ready!

Take care,
~Jessica

2 comments:

Caffeine Girl said...

Little Women was my favorite childhood book and I read it many times. I tried rereading it in m 40s, though, and I couldn't get through it. The pace is so slow. I think I'm one of those people whose brains have been rewired by the Internet!

Lucy Bowen said...

Hope the birthday party goes well. We love Curious George too! The shawl looks gorgeous, keep plugging away!