Monday, April 27, 2009

Mind Your Manners!

I'm honestly ready to move away from this horrid, wretched city. I am tired of the cliques and being taken advantage of and the blatant rudeness I enounter on a daily basis. Personally, I think that if you want to do something for someone, you will make the time and you will make it possible, despite the obstacles and if you don't, you will make excuses.
I don't know if you've noticed or not, but I had a baby in December. Sweet, precious and much-longed for, Baby Peter. I was thrilled to be pregnant and couldn't wait to meet my little bundle. We were planning our first homebirth, and it absolutely rocked! I had the most amazing team of midwives and his birth was fabulous (and yes, I will post the Birth story!) It was the best Christmas present ever. I was a little surprised at the time that nobody wanted to come see my new baby and on some level I was a little surprised that no one from church wanted to do any "celebrating" with me. I simply chalked it up to, well, this IS baby #3 but maybe after the baby is here, people will want to celebrate and come hold the baby, because baby's are after all cute, cuddly and worth celebrating! Um, not so much. So, I just wrote it off that they weren't into Baby Showers or baby's or whatever. I had an amazing Blessingway that my bestest friend every gave me in Norfolk, and the support from those momma's was amazing. I cannot wait until we live over there and we can get together more often.
So, back to the baby shower.....well, after Peter was born, it became increasingly difficult to get my crew out the door and anywhere on time. Not to mention I just felt out of place at Bible Study. Like we didn't belong, or weren't wanted, and I guess on some level I was hurt by the lack of caring and support I received after Peter arrived. So, about four months ago we stopped going to Bible Study and we've even been attending another church due to some issues my husband has with how the church was run (and for the record, I agree with Mike). So, why is it that in the last week, I have had no less than three invitations or e-mails about Baby Showers for other people? With no, Haven't seen you in awhile, is everything ok? Or even an I'm sorry we didn't give you a shower, we don't celebrate "oops" babies (and for the record, while Peter WAS a surprise, he is a very much wanted baby, an acutal answer to prayer, my very own miracle, so maybe we shouldn't make assumptions because they simply make us look like, well you get the point). Nothing. Nada. And just so you don't try to make excuses, ALL of those other mommas were on way more than kid #3, so it's not a "you already have kids" excuse. It was simply another example of how I do for others, but get overlooked.
My husaband, in all his amazingness, has once again been my support and my best friend through all my rough emotions. He could see the hurt this is causing me, and he understood how much it hurt to be left out and overlooked. Not to mention, he thought it was highly unfair and felt even more confident in his decision to lead us to another place of worship. This week-end, he blessed me beyond belief. I got my wonderful needles, (the mushroom ones, by the way, and they knit amazingly!), he took me to Williamsburg and bought me yarn without complaining, and then, when we got home, he went to the store, and came home with balloons, flowers, cake and presents- he gave me my very own Baby Shower. Isn't he the sweetest?
I honestly would never have imagined "church" people to be so rude and inconsiderate, but I'm honestly not too surprised by it. I've been hurt by more "church" people in my life, than non-"church" people. Makes one really stop and think........

No comments: