Friday, November 21, 2014

GAL2014 Featured Designer: Desert Rose Designs, Jean Clement

The Ravelry 2014 Indie Designer GAL is in full swing and is tons of fun! Over the course of the past week, I've been introduced to Desert Rose Designs and wanted to share them with my knitting friends. According to the designer herself, "Desert Rose Designs is the result of wanting to create beautiful, classic garments that are simple to knit yet with unique touches that make them special ~ and offer those designs to other knitters."
                                                              (Photo by Jean Clement)


 I had the opportunity to ask Jean a few questions about her designing:
 As a designer, where do you find your inspiration for your designs? 
               Everything inspires me. Living in Colorado we have mountains, plains, trees, rivers, colors….and our cities have unique architecture - older buildings & homes are particularly interesting.

 How did you learn to knit? Did anybody teach you? 
                    My mom taught me to knit when I was very small - I don’t remember learning. She felt that my sisters & I should know how to do all kinds of needlework, along with cooking, cleaning, etc. (I flunked cooking).

 What do you typically design?
                   I mostly design garments but have also ventured into accessories like shawls and scarves.
                                                            (Photo by Tabetha Hedrick)

 What are your favorite designs? 
           My favorite designs are the ones that work perfectly, without having to do a lot of re-knitting - lol. Actually, I like all my designs but would probably lean toward vests as my favorites.

What are you currently working on?
    I just released a new vest design - Desert Arrows Vest - and am working on getting a shawl design written up. And I have quite a few ideas just waiting to become reality.

What do you hope to find under your tree this year?
             Well, this year I’ve asked for a new Carhartt jacket. Something informal to wear during our Colorado winters. (My old one is pretty much only suitable for a barn coat now). I like to get new toys, books, yarn, etc. for knitting or crochet, or unique jewelry pieces.
                                                                 (Photo by Tabetha Hedrick)

 I hope you enjoyed getting to know Desert Rose Designs as well. Don't forget to check out the Ravelry GAL bundle,
 Take care knitters!
~Jessica

No comments: